Today, Jordan Brand officially unveiled the upcoming Air Jordan XX3 in front of a small gathering of invited press. Jordan Brand’s Director of Footwear, Gentry Humphrey, legendary footwear designer Tinker Hatfield, Director of Corporate Responsibility Hannah Jones, and Jordan Brand Marketing’s Roman Vega, were all on hand to take the audience through the entire story of the Air Jordan XX3. From conception, to design, to production, to release, to media, to everything in between, the Air Jordan XX3 Press Conference provided a total and complete look at the Michael Jordan’s 23rd signature sneaker.
To start our extensive coverage of the event, we take a look at the first colorway of the Air Jordan XX3 set to release, the “Titanium Blue” Air Jordan XX3. Set to release 23 days before the limited “All-Star” colorway, the “Titanium Blue” Air Jordan XX3 will be released to the Top 23 Jordan Brand Accounts in the US in an amount of 23 pairs per store.
Like all of the Air Jordan XX3 colorways, the “Titanium Blue” Air Jordan XX3 is a Nike Considered product designed, by Tinker Hatfield, to minimize waste, minimize the use of harmful materials, allow recycling, minimize the use of uneccessary materials, and provide for a more environmentally friendly piece of footwear. The Air Jordan XX3 is considered a turning point within Nike’s/Jordan Brand’s focus as the sneaker is set to officially begin Nike’s push to have all their footwear be Considered by the year 2020.
Although the Air Jordan XX3 is a Nike Considered sneaker, it was still built to be the best performing Air Jordan to ever hit the court. Among a long list of technical features, the Air Jordan XX3 features:
• A newly engineered, patent-pending, stitching machine stitches the upper in 3-D form. Co-designed by Mark Smith
• Dual density sock liner.
• Internal dual density slow recovery foam around the heel conforms to foot shapes to create a more custom fit.
• One shot compression molded phylon midsole.
• Full length sleek internal bootie maximizes comfort while complimenting the sleek profile.
• Nu-foam collar/tongue lining package for sleek low profile comfort.
• New quilted pattern molded sock liner that provides quality arch support.provides quality arch support.
• Reinforced quarter panels to form and hold the exact shape of the last to provide the best fit possible.
• Breathable tongue allows air to escape helping to keep the foot cooler.
• The upper is bladder pressed on the last two times during the construction to form the upper shape exactly to the last shape. The bladder is applied one last time right before the sneaker is boxed to ensure that the shape is retained.
• Full length Zoom Airsole unit for superior cushioning.
• Carbon fiber/acrylic weave shank plate adds structure and support in key areas.
• High performance TPU chassis built for stability and support.
• Light weight – 15 oz
• One of the lowest midsole profile thickness made for a basketball shoe (19mms in the heel and 9mms in the forefoot) allowing for players to be as close to the ground as possible and feel the court.
• The shank plate is inserted into the TPU chassis mold and the TPU is directly shot over the entire plate. This process is the most efficient for production because it enhances durability, reduces waste, and minimizes our solvent cement usage. It is a new innovation for performance footwear.
• Advanced cushioning system contains a low profile IPS system with a large pillar in the heel combined with a low profile modified IPS in the forefoot.
Each of the Air Jordan XX3s features a different outer stitching that not only ties back as an aesthetic cue to MJ’s love for the finer things in life, but also serves a functional stitch designed to hold the upper together. The outer stitching on all Air Jordan XX3s features the “MJ” initials. Nike Designer Mark Smith designed the outer stitching on each of the Air Jordan XX3s except for the “Black/Red” Air Jordan XX3, which was designed by Tinker Hatfield.
We will have much more on the Air Jordan XX3 throughout the next two weeks.
01/25/2008 Jordan XX3 Limited
318474-151 White/Titanium-University Blue
More After the Jump